Sunday, January 29, 2012

Oops.

"Liberty does not descend to a people.
 A people must raise themselves to liberty. 
It is a blessing that must be earned before it can be enjoyed."

I found this while I was trying to read my dull as hell book for history. When I read it, having skipped the preceding paragraphs but stopping to read this because it was in all caps and bold font, I read it as something inspirational. That a person (or, as it more implies, a people as a whole) must carry themselves like they are worth something, and do something to prove that worth, to be given it. The British actually meant this in a condescending manner towards the Indians. Oops.
After writing down my thoughts, I see how it fits my weird philosophy enough to consider it inspiring. But it really was, and really seems, condescending.
How backwards am I, in a society where all humans (in principle, should) are given full and equal rights just for being human?
I guess I should replace liberty with honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment